Carole's FEBRUARY BLOG

GULF COAST SPLASH 30" x 30" Oil on Canvas
This painting is the result of my sitting on a sea wall at a friend's house located on the intercoastal canal in Port Aransas, Texas. Staring at the splashes against the rocks is hypnotizing. Like snow flakes, no two splashes are alike.
As a result of a trip to the west coast many years ago and watching the waves break on the beach, I painted a wave. This painting reminded me of that similar experience. Toni, do you remember buying that wave for your son's wedding gift? The colors on our Texas Gulf Coast can't compare with the incredible blue of the Pacific Ocean, but I borrowed a little of that color for my Texas splash. Artist'd Privilege!

MUSEUM SHOW:
At the GETTY CENTER in Los Angeles until February 28 is "Rembrandt and His Pupils: Telling the Difference". If you can't make the trip, do as I did. The interactive on the Getty's web site allows zooming in on the images. You can test yourself by attempting to identify the Rembrandt's from the student's works, many of which were attributed to the master. And there is a BOOK of the same name published to accompany the exhibit.

COMMENTS:
Speaking of web sites, my friend Betty recommends http://www.linesandcolors.com/ Check out Karen Hollingsworth's windowscapes.

I hope you will go to http://www.carolesikes.blogspot.com/ and scroll down to my December blog to read the comments about AN EDUCATION, one of the TEN movie nominees for this year's academy awards. The movie and actress Cary Mulligan deserve their nominations.

Tricia, I'm sure you were not the only one who did not understand Fairfield Porter's "chaos" comments found in my last month's blog. It was "art speak". Here is what his words said to me:
When one is trying to make a visually satisfying painting from the chaos in nature, just "go with the flow". Certainly, rules have a place in creating a good painting composition. However a better painting is the result if the artist can capture and retain the energy, or the tranquility, or whatever the attraaction.
If working in the studio to refine a chaotic painting, one must avoid letting the rules rule. It's far too easy to lose all the spontaneous freedon, energy and interest that comes when one paints intuitively.

Maybe there will be a March blog, maybe not. We are off to London. I'll tell a little a little about that next time.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Patricia Siegel said…
Carole, it was good to see you in Laurel's class on Wednesday! I have just bestowed upon you the Sunshine Award for creativity and positivity in blogging! Check out my blog if you would like to accept your award.
Carole Sikes said…
Great to see you and to see all the good work going on in the class. I'm checking your blog and I appreciate your comment and award mucho.
Mitzi Easley said…
Same here Carole - great to see you and Charles on Wednesday. We miss you in class! and thanks to Trish for letting me know about your blog... I will follow with pleasure. Great job on the waves! Mitzi
Carole, I do love your "Nature up close" series, especially the Gulf Coast Splash! I've done waves over rocks from Hwy 1 on California, but never this close. They are intoxicating to watch and remind me of both my favorite vacations and beautiful paintings. Didn't David Hockney do some close up wave paintings? Love the colors and the movement. "Motion" is also very intriguing - how you were able to put in so much information, yet focus it and keep the movement flowing. My friend James Welcome and I are working on starting an Art Consultancy biz called Art Rhythm and we'ld love to promote your work. Very collectible I think! Have a wonderful week and thanks for the email! xoxo

Popular posts from this blog

CHECK OUT THESE IDEAS & COMMENTS:

DECEMBER BLOG 2010