HAPPY NEW YEAR from Carole 2010

"MOTION" oil on canvas, 30" x 30"

This painting has been especially challenging because I liked it very much after the initial working hours and was fearful that I would take out all the spontaneity as I completed it. This was resolved with the help of Fairfield Porter's comments in his book, ART IN ITS OWN TERMS, that I received for Christmas and was reading.

Porter says, "Form coordinates diversity, it does not pile up facts. That is why form comes from the artist looking for chaos... (and in nature I do)... he (she) finds that order is directly discoverable by unconscious awareness which is wiser than awareness directed by reason following systematic rules."

I believe this to be true. Without unconscious awareness or intuition, one can easily fall back on rules, however the painting often sacrifices energy, freedom and spontaneity.

As a former art teacher, I encouraged students to first learn "to see", which is more than just "looking." It involves understanding what you are passionate about, finding it and reacting to it with paint and brush, with words, or whatever your medium. Happy Hunting to all you creative folks.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Sadia said…
A very intricate painting; and beautiful choice of colors!
I identify with your comments about liking a particular work in its initial stages, and being worried that the spontaneity will be lost. I am working on a painting now of a roofscape of Dubrovnic. Lots of chaos, but there is form there too. I shall be trying not to "pile up facts". Thanks for the quote

Popular posts from this blog

Carole's FEBRUARY BLOG

CHECK OUT THESE IDEAS & COMMENTS:

DECEMBER BLOG 2010