NOVEMBER 2010 BLOG

Here are three images from my new series of paintings CHAUTAUQUA PORCHES. If you are new to my blog and are not a subscriber, you may wonder, "What is Chautauqua?" For an answer please go to www.carolesikes.blogspot.com to read my September blog and to see several photos taken while I was there. One is the bicycle on a porch.
Our Austin weather is finally porch sitting weather. However if sitting is not in your physical vocabulary, here are a few art events for you to consider.
The first recommendation on my list is a very handsome exhibition of paintings by LAURA SIKES BARROW at The Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd until the end of the year. Location: Windsor and Exposition in west Austin. Parking: Available on the inner campus driveway. Exhibition: in the administration building that faces the church. Hours: 9-5 Monday through Friday. Yes, I am her mother but as an artist and a former art teacher I can unabashedly declare, "she is good!"
Austin Museum of Art (AMOA) downtown Austin on Congress Ave. at 8th has a comprehensive and important collection of ROMARE BEARDEN graphics. It is a stunning show and I'm sure you will like it. But hurry because the exhibition closes on the 14th of this month. If you are not familiar with him or his work don't miss the video that accompanies the show and the talk at the museum this Thursday.
The BLANTON ART MUSEUM, University of Texas campus on MLK Blvd. is featuring TURNER TO MONET. It continues until January 2nd. Check their website for the programs that accompany the exhibition.
The big news is that ARTHOUSE and its reworked space is now open with 4 cutting edge exhibitions plus a video. The space, designed by New York architects Lewis -Tsurumaki -Lewis, is exciting and the exhibitions, provocative.
PLEIN AIR AUSTIN has a group show of paintings on the 5th floor of the Univ. of Texas Performing Arts Center (also called Bass Concert Hall) The exhibition closes Sunday Nov. 14th.
I understand that the McMAY MUSEUM in San Antonio, Texas has a exhibition of plein air paintings which I hope to see. Charles and I did get to the HOUSTON MUSEUM OF ART to see the German Impressionist Exhibition which I can recommend. Check their website because I do not know the closing date.
More in December. Let me hear from you.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carole's FEBRUARY BLOG

CHECK OUT THESE IDEAS & COMMENTS:

DECEMBER BLOG 2010