DECEMBER BLOG 2010


Almost one year ago I posted an image of a painting that I call MOTION on my January blog. I was never completely satisfied with it but liked it enough to continiue to look for solutions. I spent an inordinate amount of time sitting and staring at the painting. I hauled it ( it is 30" x 30") to a meeting of some Austin painting friends where we share criticism of one another's work. Then finally months later, I placed it on my easel, took brush in hand and modified it enough to call it done. I would love some feedback from you readers who would go to the http://www.carolesikes.blogspot.com/, scroll down to the painting below the HAPPY NEW YEAR on last January's blog and tell me which version you like best.
A common dilemma of many if not most painters is knowing when to stop. Often when one is having fun moving paint around, the painting can become overworked. This one was a great challenge and I like nothing better. Other paintings seem to slide right onto the canvas. In either case, it's a great ride.
Did you see the article written by NED RIFKIN, director of the BLANTON MUSEUM, in the recent TRIBEZA? He writes about Austin's art scene in general but the Blanton and it's current show in particular. I hope you pick up the free issues when you see them. Their Arts Calendar is always good to check out and there are interesting articles by contributors Kristin Armstrong, GSD&N's Tim McClure and others. It's a good read and lots of eyewash or should I say eye candy?
So have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday. There is always more to do than one is able or would want to do in December. You don't need any nudges from me. However, I want to encourage you to seek some peace amidst all the craziness so you can share some joy with those you love.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Hi Carole, I always love to be included in such fun art discussions. I actually prefer the latest version. I think it has more movement, and because by "pushing around more paint," you made some areas less focused, you actually created a stronger focal point of the red leaves on the right.
I know what you mean about just loving to push paint around! Isn't it fun! Sometimes I ruin a good work because I just didn't want to stop and was having too much fun. Both are lovely. Wishing you and Charles and your family a wonderful Christmas and a fabulous New Year!! xoxo - Debbi
Vicki Brevell said…
Carol,
I agree with you that the final version is best. I think the amount of light areas you had in the first one made it look unfinished. The final version still has depth, color and action, but looks complete and not overworked. Good job!!
Vicki
Anonymous said…
I definitely love this version!
Cindy")

Popular posts from this blog

Carole's FEBRUARY BLOG

CHECK OUT THESE IDEAS & COMMENTS: