2012 MARCH BLOG

I'm experimenting with color studies again which began as small collages. They always inform my landscape and nature paintings and are great fun to do.  I began doing these after reading the book JOSEF ALBERS: TO OPEN EYES. In an older post I produced images of my workbook and wrote about Albers (1888-1976). For more information, please go to www.carolesikes.blogspot.com and scroll to the bottom to click "older posts". Then scroll down to the paragraph entitled "Question and Answer" where I have written more about this important teacher and painter.

A Russian painter KAZIMER MALEVICH (1878-1935) had a period, apart from his figurative paintings, creating what he called SUPREMATIST compositions which I found to be different yet similar to my "Constructs." Malevich's life and work was produced in a very turbulent period in Russia. There were many difficult influences in his life that gratefullly are missing in mine. But I share his interest in produceing a variety of work reflecting current and changing interests.
________________________________________
Guess what I found? An extra day and I'm using it to write my monthly blog. Happy Birthday to all those who have only one of these every 4 years. As a child when I learned about leap year, I wondered what folks do each year when they have no birthDAY. I still do. If you are a leap year baby, let me know. I hope its really a big celebration today.

February was a fun month. Husband Charles has a Feb. 1st birthday followed with 2 grandchildren's birthdays and a third one coming March 3rd. Our 19 year old, Caroline Sikes is spending her spring break in New Orleans. No, she and her Rhodes College friends are not going for the bars but with Habitat for Humanity. I found a smashingly feminine carpenter's apron, black canvas trimmed in red with gloves to match. When she read her list of things to take, I'm told she said, "I've got it". Michael Barrow (9) liked his books, especially the one about historic hotels. Looks like his profession might be hotel managemant. He loves air-conditioners, balconies and atriums, and dinner place settings. But then maybe it will be architecture or art, we'll see. Finally our 12-going-on-16 year old, Angela Barrow is getting a gift card for shopping. She tells me that next year the middle school dress code at St. Andrews will be relaxed. Oh dear!

I've been in touch with Lee Chesney, Shannon Stagner and Jade Walker at U.T.'s art department lobbying to have the Loren Mozley exhibition on our campus. In the fall of 2013 the Department of Art at University of Texas will celebrate 75 years since its founding. Loren Mozley, Ward Lockwood and Connie Forsyth were among the first faculty to "hold forth" in the temporary barracks that served as the first art building before the current one on San Jacinto Street. Some of you who read this have fond memories of afternoon art labs in that barracks. Charles Sikes, Betty Osborn, Barbara Whitehead and I have attempted unsuccessfully to find a photo of the barracks for Roger Winter's catalog essay. At Margaret Berry's suggestion I even combed the Brisco History Archives at U.T.

If Austin is left out, you devotees of Mozley can catch the show in Abilene in June, then Dallas and Santa Fe. I'll post the dates when I have them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carole's FEBRUARY BLOG

CHECK OUT THESE IDEAS & COMMENTS:

DECEMBER BLOG 2010