2012 APRIL BLOG

CONSTRUCT #5
The image is of another CONSTRUCT (abstract designs were discussed more in last month's blog). This and other paintings from our SikesArt website were projected on two large screens for one of the continuing education sessions at the University of Texas.  At the invitation of Bob Coffee, my artist husband and I kicked off the "Austin Artists" series for Quest members on the U.T. Campus. QUEST is one of 4 very popular continuing ed programs at the University of Texas at Austin. LAMP, SAGE, QUEST AND FORUM were founded in that order.  All have a curriculum of a variety of subjects to interest their members who must be 55 years of age or older.  Several years ago we made a similar presentation to members of SAGE. To both groups I remarked that they were getting two painters for the price of one.

To many it seems a curiosity that Charles and I are both painters.  We began  sharing our interest in art at age 14 when we were in high school. So I was not surprised to find him beside me in my freshman life drawing class.  Best friends became lovers only after we received our Bachelor of Fine Arts degrees and parted ways.  In  1956 Charles was off to the army and I to San Antonio to teach in the public schools.  Only then did I realize something essential in my life was missing.  He did also and a marriage ensued. Fifty four years later we are still sharing a passion for art, a home and a studio, two adult children and five grandchildren.

The Quest session was great fun. The class aids passed out my business cards and I invited the 63 "students" to check out our www.sikesart.com website and to subscribe to this blog. Both of the web addresses are printed on the front of the card and on the reverse side is a detail of one of my paintings.  The first question to me was, "Which way is up and which is down?"

This question was a wonderful transition for our discussion.  Although the detail printed on the card was from a landscape painting, I insisted that it didn't really matter which way was up and that he could make that choice.  At that point I'm not sure he or anyone else was convinced of the validity of that statement. Because both Charles and I presented abstract and non-objective paintings as well as paintings of easily recognized subjects, I'm hoping that our discussions lead the participants to look for some of the basic elements that make a successful painting. The abstract work enabled us to talk about composition and to observe placement and balance; color, value and texture; line, movement, shape and form. My hope is that perhaps we advanced our "students" beyond looking ONLY for the subject matter. Attention to basic elements is what makes a good painting whatever its style.

I hope you had a wonderful Easter and are enjoying warmer days. Our winters are mild in Texas but our summers are unbelievably HOT. So, April and May are to be savored and celebrated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carole's FEBRUARY BLOG

CHECK OUT THESE IDEAS & COMMENTS:

DECEMBER BLOG 2010