2012 OCTOBER BLOG

It's another image from my painting series NATURE AND GEOMETRY. I continue to explore geometric forms and nature using color repetition simple surfaces and clean negative space. I suppose the painting's title should be BEFORE THE LEAVES LEAVE, however I'm leaving it untitled for now. (Pun intended) . Oil on canvas, 20" x 20".

OCTOBER, MY FAVORITE TIME OF YEAR! It's wonderful everywhere. In Texas it's the end of oppressive heat. But I don't want to leave the impression that summer is awful. Given the choice, I choose summer over winter. October is the best with alternating days of warm and cool. October can bring rain and a spurt of fall growth. Until November, Texas hangs on to her green leaves. Then we are given a little color followed by the beautiful tracery of winter's bare branches. I suppose I like all the seasons and it's the change that invigorates me.

I remember fondly an October Saturday long ago, basking in the warm sun on a huge stone by Shoal Creek while being kissed by a cool breeze. My tiny children were at play delighting in nature - the rocks, the flowers and the water. I was watching them float their boats of leaves and twigs while listening to the Texas Longhorns football game on my portable radio. I hope you have fond memories of celebrating your special seasons.

Daughter Laura surely does not remember that particular Saturday but today she along with 12 other busy and gifted people told their stories of being surprised by joy, of experiencing a sense of profound peace or of being astonished by a power taking them beyond the ordinary. At the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd in Austin we will gather for the next 5 Wednesdays for our class entitled KEYS TO A CREATIVE LIFE: THE ART OF SEEING. We are all born creative, but life has a way of knocking it out of us. Our challenge is to get back in touch with our creativity and we are on our way.

We will all tell stories, some may compose poems and songs, some may paint, some may ponder new possibilities and all will share in the discoveries we make.

Enjoy your October and all the fall events exploding among us.

Comments

Stephen Parker said…
Ahh, fall in Austin in the 60's. What a fantastic place to be. Your description confirms vividly my own fondness for the Austin of those days. Before the Leaves Leaveis another beautiful expression of those experiences.

Popular posts from this blog

Carole's FEBRUARY BLOG

CHECK OUT THESE IDEAS & COMMENTS:

DECEMBER BLOG 2010