BLOG FOR JULY 2011

     My husband Charles and I had our dual website updated, www.sikesart.com . Please check it out. This July blog image (below) is on my side of our website's home page along with one of the series of abstractions that Charles has been creating. To view more of our paintings click on either of our images to get into the other sections.
     Charles is a modern man and does not attempt to make me invisible as was the plight for most professional women in the early 20th century and before. Currently in Paris through September 18th there is an exhibition of photographs and furniture designed by Charlotte Perriand. For 10 years during the 1930s, she was a co-creator with the famous architect Le Corbusier but stood in his shadow.  In 1900 in Scotland Charles Rennie Mackintosh married a gifted designer named Margaret Mcdonald. She suffered the same anonymity. As the saying goes, "Behind every great man stands a woman, rolling her eyes."
   I was personally affected by reading that Charlotte Perriand used photography as a way of taking notes of the things that interested her. I find that I am doing this much more than sketching and painting on location (en plein aire). The iPhone makes this very easy. For years I used an SLR Canon camera to photograph but I painted primarily on location. Lately I'm using a digital Canon especially for photographing images of paintings to sync to my computer to be cropped and refined but also as a reference for painting in the studio rather than outdoors in the Texas heat. Perhaps someday I will do an exhibition of photographs and the paintings that resulted from my "camera note taking".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carole's FEBRUARY BLOG

CHECK OUT THESE IDEAS & COMMENTS:

DECEMBER BLOG 2010